If circumstances change and you will not be leaving within the period of authorized stay, it is essential that you file to extend or change your status before it lapses. We have assisted many individuals in extending and changing their status.  It is important to understand the distinction between the period of validity of the visa and the period of authorized stay.  A ten-year visitor visa does NOT mean the individual is authorized to stay in the U.S. for ten years.

Generally in order to be eligible to change or extend non-immigrant status, an individual must be maintaining a valid status. If not, he or she may be required to travel to a US Consulate outside to apply for a new visa. It is very important for an individual to seek advice regarding his or her eligibility to leave the United States and apply for a visa before deciding to do so.

Please note that recent changes have been introduced the rules on unlawful status for students and others that were admitted to the US for the “duration of status” which may have a significant impact on eligibility to apply for a new visa. Please follow our Facebook page for updates and developments on this and other important immigration issues.

The content of this website is meant only to acquaint you with general information about immigration.This information is not legal advice and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. If you have additional questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us.